InPersonal, Self-care

My Summer 2018 Reading List

I recently visited the cutest, quaintest little bookstore and boy, oh boy, did it make me happy! There’s nothing quite like a local bookstore to lift your spirits! As usual, I wanted to buy the ENTIRE bookstore but somehow resisted the temptation and walked out with only one book. Also, as usual, I took about a million pictures of the front covers of books I want to buy later. So, with my camera library full of interesting book covers and recommendations from all of you who commented on my latest Instagram post or DM’d me your favorite books, I’m ready to make my 2018 Summer Reading List!

But first, here are a couple books I’ve read recently that I feel deserve mention since they were absolutely AMAZING! You should definitely add these to your reading list!

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman (My rating: 4.5 stars)

An American Marriage by Tayari Jones (My rating: 4.8 stars)

My Summer 2018 Reading List

The Heart’s Invisible Furies by John Boyne (I’m currently reading this and it’s fantastic, so far!)

The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Wonder by R.J. Palacio

Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed

Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari and Eric Klinenberg

I’ve already ordered a couple of these, so I’ll keep you updated on what I think of them. I can’t wait to delve into these! If you have any other suggestions, feel free to leave them in the comments below! I’d love to hear them and add them to the list!

You may also like

24 Comments

• Rachel G

I’ve read “The Kite Runner” and I’ve read “To Kill a Mockingbird” a couple times, but haven’t read any of the others! I’ve been doing a lot of reading this past month, and I love having time to read!

June 4, 2018 at 5:13 AM Reply
    • thedetermineddreamer

It’s so nice when I have a little extra time to read! What did you think of The Kite Runner and To Kill a Mockingbird? I’ve heard about them for years (and I think I may have even read To Kill a Mockingbird when I was younger, so I’m excited to read them (again).

June 4, 2018 at 4:39 PM Reply
  • Kiara A Catanzaro

I love everything from Taylor Jenkins Reid! I have read all of her books, so I am VERY interested the seven husbands of evelyn hugo! I love the other books you have on this list, too. I’m currently reading “A Murder In Time” and I am loving it!

June 4, 2018 at 12:31 PM Reply
    • thedetermineddreamer

I haven’t read anything from her yet, but I’ve heard great things so I’m excited to! I’ll have to check out “A Murder In Time,” as well. I’ve been more into mystery books lately!

June 4, 2018 at 4:38 PM Reply
  • Indya | The Small Adventurer

I can attest that Paper Towns, Perks of Being a Wallflower, and To Kill A Mockingbird are really great! I’ve had Memoirs of a Geisha waiting for me on my shelves for a while. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on it when you read it!

June 4, 2018 at 12:31 PM Reply
    • thedetermineddreamer

Yay, I’m glad you can attest to those being great! Memoirs of a Geisha sounds so interesting to me. I’m so excited to read it! You’ll have to let me know what you think of it (if you read it), as well! 🙂

June 4, 2018 at 4:36 PM Reply
  • Laura

Girl your reading list is so big!!!! GET READING!!! hahaha 🙂 Also, you HAVE to read “You’re A Badass” by Jen Sinclair, I get the feeling you will absolutely LOVE IT!!!

June 4, 2018 at 1:22 PM Reply
    • thedetermineddreamer

HAHA, I know right!? I’m going to have to read all day every day in order to finish the list! And yes, I have read that book. I liked it but didn’t like the whole Universe theme of it. I just can’t get into “woo woo” stuff or whatever they call it, but I thought there was a lot of good advice packed in there that didn’t have to do with that stuff, as well!

June 4, 2018 at 4:36 PM Reply
  • Ashley Welborn

Super excited to try a few of these! I am always looking for new books to add to my list especially being off for summer! Thanks for giving me some great reads to add to my list!

June 4, 2018 at 2:11 PM Reply
    • thedetermineddreamer

No problem! I’m glad some of these sound interesting to you! Summer is the best time to read. I love reading by the pool or just anywhere outside. It’s so relaxing! 🙂

June 4, 2018 at 4:34 PM Reply
  • Lecy | A Simpler Grace

I’ve read so many of these and loved quite a few. There are a couple I didn’t like so much and I’m interested to hear what you think. Happy reading, Coral!

June 4, 2018 at 2:35 PM Reply
    • thedetermineddreamer

Thanks Lecy! I’m interested to know which ones you didn’t like, but I guess I should try reading them first just in case I like them haha.

June 4, 2018 at 4:34 PM Reply
  • Keating

I just went through and added all of these to my Audible wishlist! One of my big goals for the month of June is to get back to reading. It’s so important to me. So I’m going to check some of these out!

June 4, 2018 at 4:11 PM Reply
    • thedetermineddreamer

That’s a goal of mine, as well! For some reason I just feel a lot happier in my life when I’m reading more often. I’m glad you thought some of these are interesting! 🙂

June 4, 2018 at 4:33 PM Reply
  • Savannah

I really want to read Anna Kendrick’s book! (And several others on this list too!) I haven’t read Cheryl Strayed’s Tiny Beautiful Things, but I absolutely loved Wild. She has a really cool story.

June 4, 2018 at 4:32 PM Reply
    • thedetermineddreamer

I really want to read it too! I read Wild, but haven’t read Tiny Beautiful Things yet, but am so excited to! I’m so glad you liked this list! 🙂

June 4, 2018 at 9:31 PM Reply
  • Ruthie Ridley

Thank you so much for this list! I have been making every effort this year to read more!!

June 4, 2018 at 7:47 PM Reply
    • thedetermineddreamer

Yay, I’m glad I could give you some suggestions!

June 14, 2018 at 9:22 AM Reply
  • Alix Maza

Evelyn Hugo was soooo good! ‘The Heart’s Invisible Furies’ is on my TBR list also.

June 5, 2018 at 1:07 AM Reply
    • thedetermineddreamer

Okay, that just sealed the deal on me ordering that one right away haha! I’m so excited to read it!!!! 🙂

June 14, 2018 at 9:24 AM Reply
  • Chelsea

Omg- thank you for putting together this list! I am planning on a trip to Barnes and Noble soon…you just can’t beat the book store. I read Perks of Being a Wallflower and I loved it.

June 5, 2018 at 4:19 AM Reply
    • thedetermineddreamer

Bookstores are one of my favorite places of ALL time. I LOVE them! I’m glad you liked Perks of Being a Wallflower because I’ve been thinking about starting that one soon!

June 14, 2018 at 9:23 AM Reply
  • Kellie Monahan

This list sounds so interesting and fun! I definitely need to be better about reading. It’s like I want to read, but then I just never do – it’s weird haha. I’ve read Paper Towns and it’s one of my favorites!!

June 12, 2018 at 5:37 PM Reply
    • thedetermineddreamer

I’m the same way! I didn’t read a single book for like 2 years at one point! I was so disappointed in myself haha. It can be hard to find the time to read. But whenever I do read, I feel so much happier and less stressed. It’s like a mini vacation or oasis that you can escape to, almost like meditation. I’m going to have to read Paper Towns, especially now that you’ve said it’s great, as well!

June 14, 2018 at 9:02 AM Reply