This post contains affiliate links, at no additional cost to you. As always, all opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that keep The Determined Dreamer up and running!
I’ve struggled with having thin hair that won’t grow for my ENTIRE LIFE. Okay, actually… that’s not entirely true. Apparently, I was born with a full head of black hair… but it quickly (as, in like… 1 week later) fell out. Yeah, huge bummer. So, as you can imagine, it’s taken a whole lot of trial and error- like extensions that weren’t put in properly (and that I didn’t maintain very well- oops) and trying out different types of biotin, ponytail holders, and shampoos/conditioners- to get my hair to a place I’m super happy with.
I also had to accept that I can’t change the hair genes I was born with. Yeah, the reality of that stinks but recognizing it has helped me love my hair for what it is. And of course, fortunately, there are many ways that thin/fine haired people can still make huge improvements in the condition of their hair, despite whatever difficult hair genes we have. So, after testing out every haircare product under the sun, here are my absolute FAVORITE products for my thin/fine hair.
1 . Function of Beauty– For a long time, I was really skeptical of Function of Beauty. It was being promoted by every celebrity/influencer and seemed a little too good to be true. I was only willing to try it once I heard Safiya Nygaard’s honest review of it. I’m really glad I eventually decided to try it. Function of Beauty had me take a really fun quiz to identify my hair goals and choose a scent, color, and size for my shampoo/conditioner. As soon as I got my products and started using them, I noticed that my hair started looking way more voluminous and it didn’t get greasy as quickly as it usually does. I chocked that up to first time luck… but was surprised when it was still working extremely well after months and months of using it. And my hair was actually growing… like, for the first time ever. It started to look healthier, longer, thicker, and cleaner. It’s a little pricier than some shampoos and conditioners but it’s 100% worth the price. If you’re interested in trying it, click here to get $10 off your first order!
2. Not Your Mother’s Way to Grow Shampoo & Conditioner– There are a few products specifically for growing hair out that I love, but this one is my favorite! It’s my go-to product when I’m not buying Function of Beauty. It makes my hair feel so clean and adds a lot of volume. Also, I honestly have seen a difference in the thickness and growth of my hair since using this. One important thing to note about this is that you MUST follow the instructions on the conditioner bottle or it WILL NOT get you the results you want (massaging the conditioner into your scalp for at least 2 minutes before rinsing out).
3. Eat healthier– I’ve always had a hard time eating healthy. It wasn’t until recently, when I got a book called Eat Pretty, that I started to really change my lifestyle. I highly suggest reading it if you’re having trouble regularly eating healthy and balanced meals! It doesn’t promote diet culture, it just explains how the food we put into our bodies can affect how we look and feel. In the book, it has food suggestions for different categories (i.e; aging well, healthy hair, strong nails, flat belly). For healthy hair, it suggests that you eat more sardines, oats, pastured eggs, bananas, radishes, and greens.
4. Nature’s Bounty Solutions Hair, Skin, and Nails Gummies– I’ve tried a ton of hair, skin, and nail gummies and these are by far my favorite! They’re a super steal ($10 for 140 gummies) and they actually work! I started taking these about 6 months ago and saw a significant difference in my hair within a couple of weeks of taking them. I had less hair fall out, my hair was growing more quickly, and it felt thicker. Also, they helped clear up my skin and strengthened my nails, which were total bonuses!
5. Shea Moisture Manuka Honey & Yogurt Hydrate– I’ve also tried a ton of hair masks and haven’t found any that compare to this one. Shea Moisture has always been one of my favorite brands. The products are full of good ingredients that actually work. This mask is probably my favorite product of theirs. It completely transformed my hair after several bad dye jobs. My hair looked and felt healthier, shinier, softer, and more moisturized after just one use. The health of my hair only went up from there, as I continued to use this product! It’s seriously AMAZING!
6. Madison Reed Hair Dye– I absolutely LOVE Madison Reed hair dye. I actually wrote an entire blog post about my first experience trying Madison Reed hair dye here! After many failed attempts at dying my hair with box hair dyes, I decided to try Madison Reed hair dye. It’s still in a box, but it’s a step above store-bought hair dyes, it’s made with great ingredients, and it’s affordable! I loved everything about using Madison Reed hair dye- from the ordering process to the dying process to the results!
7. Small Seamless Hair Ties– This is PROOF that I have very thin/fine hair. I literally use BABY and TODDLER hair ties. Yup. I used normal hair ties for the first 24 years of my life but started getting frustrated by the amount of hair they were pulling out. I decided to switch to these small seamless hair ties and have never gone back! They don’t pull out my hair and my hair doesn’t break off where I tie my ponytails and buns like it used to. There are also some plain black ones on that same link if you’re not interested in the girly multi-colored ones!
8. Stop using heat on your hair– I know you’ve heard this tip a million times. I also know it’s pretty much impossible for some people to avoid using heat on their hair, but most of us use WAY more heat than we need to. I used to be ADDICTED to my straightener. I wouldn’t go on any trips without it and I used it every morning and several times throughout the day. It sounds funny, but it actually hindered my freedom. I felt like I didn’t look good without super stick straight hair, so my confidence was low when I didn’t have time to straighten my hair or when I forgot to bring it somewhere. The past couple of years, I’ve gone completely heat free and it’s improved my self-confidence and my hair SO much. It’s freeing to know that I can go anywhere and feel confident without using heat products on my hair. It’s also allowed my hair to heal, grow longer, and thicken. I HIGHLY suggest going heat-free for awhile, even if you think your hair will look bad without using heat products. It makes a world of difference for fine/thin hair, especially.
9. Go a few days between washes– I used to wash my hair every single day (sometimes twice a day) and it was a GREASY MESS. Now I wash it every 2 or 3 days and it’s become much less greasy. There’s a whole science behind this that I’m not going to go into, but I do suggest going a few days without washing your hair if you want to improve the health, greasiness levels, thickness, and length of your hair!